percy-l - Re: [percy-l] weatherbee

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Collins, Bernard F. (Skip)" <Bernard.Collins AT jhuapl.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] weatherbee
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:23:03 -0400

I suppose Percy intended Fr. Kev, (like the "nutty American nuns, female Clint Eastwoods who have it in for men and are out to get the Pope" mentioned in Lost in the Cosmos)  to be emblematic of the rather strange situation Catholics are in vis-à-vis modernity. The tensions between Catholicism and the peculiarly American mode of self-worship, are bound to produce some weird outcomes.