percy-l - [percy-l] hurricane in Lancelot

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: dabeck AT iupui.edu
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] hurricane in Lancelot
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:21:53 -0500

First, I want to applaud Henry, who has taken some undeserved shots, for
trying to bring the list back to the literary/philosophical discussion for
which it is intended. When those who disagree are labeled as Nazis and
Klansmen, it's time to step in and bring some integrity (and maturity) back
the discussion. Maybe the tree needed to be pruned. Regardless, I appreciate
his input (why can't members correspond with each other instead of the list?
carry on off-list conversations with several members of the list).
But, since some want to discuss the hurricane, I thought I'd throw out this
experience. In my fiction class, I have a "displaced" student from New
Orleans, who, with her family, lost everything (she had two changes of
clothes
as of last week). She came to Indianapolis a few weeks ago, several weeks
into
the semester.
Anyway, today I began my lecture on Percy and, in particular, Lancelot. It
wasn't until I was into my spiel on Percy's "hurricane syndrome" that I
realized I had just (possibly) stepped into a mess. I wasn't sure if I could
convey the anticipation, the rush, the break from everydayness, without
seeming pretty shallow (in her eyes anyway). She is pretty shy, so I didn't
want to "push" her to respond, but I was interested in hearing her take on
it.
But last week, when she came to my office to get "caught up," we talked
briefly about her situation. She said that they couldn't return, and so she
didn't know the extent of damage to her home; she did say, however, that the
area in which she lived was hit hard and not much was left standing (based on
news reports). But she started to get choked up, so I backed off.
She is way behind in class work, and I don't think she has been able to buy
the books (I'm meeting with her tomorrow to work something out). Still, I
wonder how she will see the whole hurricane effect and the hurricane in
Lancelot.
Any suggestions?
-David