percy-l - Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Dave Duty <daveduty AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: Percy-L AT lists.ibiblio.org:Literary and Philosophical Discussion <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:11:20 -0500

Is no one else on the list concerned about Nikki and the other New Orleans area residents?

Nikki -- if your out there -- let us know if you and your loved ones are ok -- God Bless -- Dave

JHForest AT cs.com wrote:
>> What would you say to a young person who asks, "What so great about this
Percy guy, anyway?" <<

What keeps Walker Percy in print fifteen years after his death is the sheer delight of reading his books.

A key word with Percy was "search." It seems to me all of his fiction and non-fiction have to do with that topic. As he said:

"If I had the choice of knowing the truth or searching for the truth,
I'd take the search."

It's a subject of the search has been much on my mind lately if for no
other reason than I'm at work on a book about pilgrimage (understood
not only as making journeys to distant shrines but an attitude about
being that has little to do with travel). One way of defining a pilgrim
is a person on a search.

Jim Forest

* * *
Jim & Nancy Forest
Kanisstraat 5 / 1811 GJ Alkmaar / The Netherlands
Jim's e-mail: jhforest AT cs.com (alternative address: jhforest AT gmail.com)
Nancy's e-mail: forestflier AT cs.com (alternative address: forestflier AT gmail.com)
Orthodox Peace Fellowship web site: http://www.incommunion.org
Jim & Nancy Forest web site: http://incommunion.org/forest-flier/
photo web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimforest/sets/
* * *