percy-l - Re: [percy-l] U.S. : Terrorist SuperPower?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "RHONDA MCDONNELL" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] U.S. : Terrorist SuperPower?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:09:31 -0700

Thanks, Robert, for a lucid and articulate _expression_ of a moderate position. Yes, moderate. And, by the way, we can't have it both ways, Karey. We can't simultaneously stay out of all countries headed by murderous dictators and protect all peoples who are truly living in dystopic societies. While I abhor war and violence (I won't own a gun or have one in my home, for example), it bears pointing out that the lives lost in a valiant effort in the Middle East are far exceeded by the lives taken in the last five years by terrorist actions in our country, in Spain, in England, and in other places. Because terrorists are hard to nail down, the only hope is to cut off the blood supply to the tumor. And frankly, Hussein and his ilk are part of that blood supply. Finally, before bandying about the terrorist label in response to our actions, consider this image--In Iraq, women were protesting that the constitution being considered will not grant them equality. What a journey they've made, to be able to demand equality, when prior to our involvement they had no freedoms, no hope for equality.