percy-l - [percy-l] a question re The Thanatos Syndrome

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: JHForest AT cs.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] a question re The Thanatos Syndrome
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:54:49 EST

Here's a question a friend sent regading The Thanatos Syndrome. Any comments?

Jim Forest

* * *

Thanks for the review of the Percy book. I haven't read it, so I pose the following as
a hypothesis you can confirm or reject.

You (and many others on this list) probably already know it, but even the title
appears to be ironic, given what you say about the content of the book. In Freud's
early work he thought of drives as biologically driven to preserve the species,
borrowing rather directly from Darwin. After World War I, Freud changed his theory
and postulated the existence of a thanatos drive, a drive toward death and
destruction that undid the positive direction of the eros drive. Freud's later theory
never caught on in psychiatry or psychology; it is too much opposed to the axioms
of modern science (and evolution, the modern way of conceptualizing change across
time). But Percy evidently wanted us to think that modern psychiatry had itself
fallen into the grips of the very drive in which it did not want to believe.

David

* * *