percy-l - Re: [percy-l] language theory

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Mike Frentz <mfrentz_2 AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] language theory
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:40:46 -0500

Karey,

I'm sorry I really haven't gotten a chance to go back a re-look at our earlier discussion. One of the key things that I had been impressed with was Terrence Deacon's book, the Symbolic Species: The Co-evolution of Language and the Brain (1997). That is an excellent starting point for the state of the art from one scientist's perspective a half dozen years after Percy's death. Bonus is that Deacon is Peirce literate, as you'll see in his description of icon, index, and symbol.

Googling Deacon's name I just came across this link on a book on Language Evolution.
http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-924483-9
I haven't seen this book but it looks interesting at first glance. A PDF sample was available which seemed small enough that I attached it (I got it from the linked website of the softcover edition [reposted without attachment]). Deacon has been saying for several years now that he has a follow-on to Symbolic Species, called Homunculus, in preparation, but I don't think it is yet out.

I also recall that there was some interesting material on genetic-based language research about a year ago -- someplace in England I believe, but I'd have to track it down.

From my perspective, Percy seems to have come to grips with the importance of the cognizance of self in forming judgments, which is a critical last step in the understanding of knowledge (per Bernard Lonergan's approach in "Insight"). Lonergan seems to have independently developed a "Percy-like" perspective in this area, by my read (though there is no apparent connection/citing by either to the other). Tekippe makes a comment in his commentary on Lonergan ("What is Lonergan up to in INSIGHT?: A Primer") that in order "to find an adequate stress on judgement, one must go back to the medieval philosphers. Thomas Aquinas, in particular, places a strong emphasis on judgment as the single criterion of truth." (p 122). Percy, and a very small minority of only partially connected or disconnected others (e.g. Peirce, Lonergan, Aquinas), seem to be adding something in coming from a humanistic perspective that a purely scientic perspective (e.g. Deacon, Minsky, Chomsky) seem to be oblivious of (which I attribute to the lack of moorings and underlying, but apparently totally blind, agenda which appears to be prevalent in current postmodern-polluted academia (not to mention mass media). I think there is probably much in current scientific advances that could add to the track that Percy was pursuing.

Just my blathering..

Best,
Mike