percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Retaining My Amateur Status

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Jonathan Potter" <jdp AT scn.org>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Retaining My Amateur Status
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:44:37 -0800

Fellow (Semi)Pro/Ams et al:

I've enjoyed this thread and would only add a bibliographic note. There is
a 1986 interview with Percy from the National Catholic Register in which
Percy comments directly on Vatican II, politics, and the state of the
Church. The interview is included in More Conversations with Walker Percy,
p 113-26.

The interviewer asks Percy questions that stray from the usual Percy fare
and the results are amazing. (At least I remember being amazed at the time
the interview originally appeared.) Percy drops his usual novelist's
circumspection and irony to really speak directly about politics and the
Church. I'd recommend you get your hands on it and read or reread the whole
thing, but here's a sample from p. 116 (starting in the middle of Percy's
comments on angry nuns, to give some context to what follows):

---------------------------------
Percy: .... This will irritate no end of people, but it occurs to me
that it might be a question of maturity. I will be happy when the American
Catholic Church grows up. After all, we're still only two generations past
an immigrant Church. We're just a few years past Mother Cabrini and the
Italians, the Irish, and Germans and so on. And, without denigrating the
virtues of feminism, which I certainly defend as a proper cause, we're
seeing radical, even bizarre, manifestations of it.
.... It may be that some of the women who are the most vocal -- whom I
won't name -- some of the signers of the notorious advertisement in the New
York Times and the Sister who shook her finger at the Holy Father -- I
sometimes wonder if there aren't more psychological than theological reasons
for their protest. It seems obvious to me that they are sexists, but not in
the way *they* mean sexist. What I mean is the dislike of men. The way
they talk about the Holy Father is nothing less than termagant hatred. I
can see that nun shaking her finger at John Paul II. Poor fellow. It is
more than doctrine and politics.
It's almost saying, "Only if I stand up against you and tell you off am
I a woman in my own right."
Take another nun, Mother Teresa. I don't think that it's even crossed
her mind that she is being persecuted by a male, monarchical Church or the
Holy Father. She has better things to do.
It's a question of maturity, of being more concerned with service, love
of God, love of your fellow man, love of the wretched of the earth.
Register: Is this turnaround among Religious simply because some were
caricatures of virtues like submission and obedience and now all these
pent-up things are coming out?
Percy: Well, what else? Of course, some people will blame Vatican
II. But I don't think there's anything wrong with Vatican II. I'm not a
student of Vatican II, but at the same time I don't remember reading in any
of the institutes or publications anything I disagreed with. I do remember
the openness of John XXII, his ideas, what he wanted to achieve for the
Church, what he *did* achieve. That was all to the good. People often
forget that John emphasized all through the council that these things are
necessary for the life and health of the Church. But don't forget that he
insisted on preserving "the sacred deposit of faith," as he called it.
I know many old-style Catholics who were scandalized by the Church's
giving up Latin. I know Catholics who think that all the trouble started
when Latin was dropped. But that's not part of the sacred deposit of the
faith. Some very intellectual, high falutin' Catholics talk about the
trivialization of the liturgy. Well, that's probably true too....
Beautiful liturgy is all very well. We have a Benedictine abbey here
that's very high on liturgy, and that's wonderful. I'm all for it. I love
to go out and hear plainsong at Vespers. But that's not integral to the
unity and integrity of the faith.
------------------------------

And another sample from p. 125:
------------------------------
Register: And what do you think about Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger?
Percy: I haven't read the famous interview yet. I've only read about
him. But since he's being reviled by so many people whom I have no use for,
I may send off to get the interview and see what he said. I like what he
wants the synod to be -- to rescue the Church not from Vatican II but from
the excesses which followed Vatican II. Considering some of his enemies, I
suspect he's probably on the right track.

Jonathan Potter
Spokane WA