percy-l - Re: [percy-l] RE: Percy and Coles

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: chaslow53 AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org ("Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Disc ussion")
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] RE: Percy and Coles
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:39:51 -0500

Although I'm unable to contribute much to this list's high scholarly tone,
here is a note about Coles/Percy/Springsteen from an unexpected source.
Besides an affection for corn whiskey, I have only one other appreciable
vice, which manifests itself in my making an occasional wager on the races.
Around Thanksgiving I was at the local office of the Off Track Betting in my
Brooklyn neighborhood, and I was discussing literature (really!) with a
betting clerk with whom I had become friendly over the years. He asked me
about my favorite novelists, and as soon as I mentioned Walker Percy, he said
two things: (1) that The Moviegoer was one of his favorite novels, and (2)
that WP was a big Bruce Springsteen fan. He then told me the entire story of
the Springsteen interview, the journal and the benefit concert! As Mark
Twain may or may not have said, Interesting if true and interesting anyway.

Since we are all concerned, in varying ways, with the WP legacy, I thought
you might be amused to hear of the legacy's penetration even into a world
more often concerned with furlongs and equipment changes, early speed and
photo finishes!

Chuck Lowry
Brooklyn, New York