percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Lonergan and Percy?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Dave Duty <daveduty AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: Percy-L AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:Literary and Philosophical Discussion <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Lonergan and Percy?
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:26:37 -0600

Any source of what Coles actually said?  Historically Dr. Coles is the most honorable of thinkers/writers I know alive today.

Most of us are aware of the unanswered letter Dr. Percy sent to the Boss.  And that the nephew interviwed the Boss in depth about WP.

I know for a fact that I personally mentioned my affection for Bruce to WP -- and he said he had heard of him via his grandson(s).  In the same conversation I said that I thought Sting MIGHT have read and appreciated WP's work - this was a pure surmise on my part and have not since read or heard anything from Sting to this effect.  WP also said he had heard of Sting from the same source but was not sure if he had ever heard him -- at least that he was aware of.

For what it is worth.

Robert_Pauley AT oxy.com wrote:
Message
I'm curious if anyone has comment on recent flap regarding Bob Coles quoting (misquoting?) Percy on Bruce Springsteen. Coles claims Percy was a gushing fan of Springsteen's, as Coles is, and his quotes are taken from memory. So he can't back them up. But quotes are being challenged by New Republic magazine and by Percy's nephew, who says they don't sound a thing like Walker. I agree. Quotes sound phony.