percy-l - Re: [percy-l] "...additional materials for dissertation"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Nikkibar AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] "...additional materials for dissertation"
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:17:39 EST

In a message dated 3/6/03 8:55:11 AM Central Standard Time, karey AT charter.net writes:

Thanks very much for the reference.  I thought that one or both had said it, but didn't know the original context nor who said it first -- I'd actually never read the quote itself until last week.

I do have your book, Allen.  Haven't started it yet but I will soon and I believe it will help me a lot, given the topics covered.  Also have the O'Connor Mystery & Manners book which I had previously guessed might be relevant, but didn't know the quote was in there.

I am composing the bibliography for the dissertation now, and am trying to figure out which are the essential secondary Percy texts -- I have so far, in no particular order, Lawson & Kramer's "Conversations" (both), Lawson's "Following Percy"s (both), Gary Ciuba's "WP: Book of Revelations," Crowley & Crowley's "Critical Essays," Martin Luschei "The Sovereign Wayfarer," Quinlan "The Last Catholic Novelist," Elliot & Lantos "The Last Physician," Broughton "The Art of Percy,"  Rudnicki "Percyscapes," William Rodney Allen "A Southern Wayfarer," Robert Lauder "Walker Percy: Prophetic, Existentialist, Catholic Storyteller," Poteat "WP and the Old Modern Age," and of course, Pridgeon "WP's Sacramental Landscapes."

This is in addition to the biographies and Ketner's "A Thief of Peirce" and of course the various other philosophers that influenced Percy (Marcel, Kierkegaard, Heidegger, Aquinas, Peirce's primary essays) and then the ones that relate specifically to my topic.

Are there any other basic secondary Percy texts?  Have I missed an important one??

Thanks again...

Karey

----- Original Message ----- From: Allen Pridgen