percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Wedding Reading

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Jonathan Potter <jdp AT scn.org>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Craig.Abruzzo AT morganstanley.com
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Wedding Reading
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:00:43 -0800 (PST)

Craig,

Maybe a passage from The Second Coming, with Will and Allie in the
greenhouse:

His hand was in the hollow of her back, pressing her against him. She
came against him, willingly. It was a marvel to her this yielding and
flowing against him, amazing that I was made so and is this *it* then
(whatever *it* is) and what will happen to myself ... and will I for the
first time in my life get away from my everlasting self sick of itself to
be with another self and is that what *it* is and if not then what? He
kissed her on the lips. Ah then *it* is that too after all, the dancing
adream in the Carolina moonlight except that it was sleeting and it was
firelight not moonlight on the glass.
"Oh my," she said. "Imagine."
"Imagine what?"
"Imagine having you around at four o'clock in the afternoon."

This is on p. 257 of the hardbound copy of the book, and there are a few
other potential passages before and after, like about Will being prone to
falling down and Allie being a good hoister.

Best wishes,
Jonathan Potter