percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Re: Some Random Thoughts, Largely Unrelated, Based on Previous Discussions and Readings

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Mike Frentz <mfrentz AT bbn.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Re: Some Random Thoughts, Largely Unrelated, Based on Previous Discussions and Readings
  • Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:52:46 -0500

Karey,

I largely agree with your thoughts.  But I have to say your commentary also struck me a bit curiously (it struck me almost as representative of an observer of a world rather than a participant in the world..).  One of the obvious byproducts seemingly symptomatic of our end of the twentieth century perspective is the notion of "political correctness" -- that is our (now pervasive) habit as a society of only saying what is considered socially acceptable rather than what is true, in order to avoid being rude. Consider the difference between the statements:

"I believe there are universal truths" vs. "There are universal truths"

What is the purpose of the first statement, other than to indicate that I believe that there is a truth however I don't believe it strongly enough that you should also believe it?

There are universal spiritual truths, but they never were (and will never be) entirely agreed upon.  There will always be the unenlightened.. This really isn't new relative to anywhere or anytime that I am aware of.

I think what is new (from an American perspective, at least) is that the Judeo-Christian principles upon which American society (and Western Civilization, for that matter) were built are no longer being predominantly held in our society as being valid to the point that *all* members of that society must either acknowledge them to be true or to risk incurring the societal view that the philosophy they subscribe to is inferior.  Case in point:  this whole 10 Commandments controversy in Alabama -- this would have been considered frivolous fifty years ago.

One of the key factors of the twentieth century to my thinking (borrowed from Percy) is that it destroyed the heretofore assumed/purported innocence of post-Enlightenment thinking.  Having more people murdered during the twentieth century than the number that cumulatively existed throughout the history of the world, and in the vast majority of cases, by initially "well-meaning" philosophies that nevertheless displaced God by man as the supreme being (Blackmun, Stalin, Hitler..)  Without God, a society will not stay "good" (yet our American educational system denies His very existence to the point where children cannot acknowledge that fact without fear of retribution by authorities).  That is the true "gift" (the German meaning is even more apt..) of the twentieth century.

All genuine religions aren't true, but all genuine religions ARE good, and each contains some fraction of truth (but only one contains the fullness of truth, by definition, if you acknowledge that the Truth exists, and also believe that God isn't incredibly perverse).  Luckily, that religion teaches that your theology doesn't need to be perfect, the important thing is that you as an individual are striving for Truth, and given enough instruction, mentoring, searching (and lifetime), you will eventually find that Truth.  It is there.  And that is what we will be judged on (i.e. having Christ in your heart even if you've never heard His name).  That doesn't make all religions the same in terms of equivalency, but good nonetheless, for those true of heart.  Not everyone can eat steak.  Pablum is also good food for the spiritually immature.

I agree with you, in terms of  spirituality being more of a "do it yourself" project in these times.  I think this is abetted strongly by the overt expulsion of God from publicly supported institutions; these institutions which, in turn, strongly influence a society (the more Godless the society, the more pervasive these institutions seem to become, as well).  It is ironic that the more information that is available, the more lost people become.  The most educated society in the history of the world is, in many ways, the most clueless.

You might be interested in the book "Chance or Dance" by Thomas Howard (Ignatius).  Peter Kreeft describes it as the best book on the medieval mind he has ever read.  Hearkening back to your earlier comment, I don't think the Renaissance was at all incompatible with the Middle Ages -- it was more the Reformation with its subsequent Enlightenment that caused God to be expelled from polite society rather than the Renaissance.  Science and religion aren't nearly as incompatible as many of us were lead to believe (the Galileo debacle notwithstanding..)

Mike

Christianity is doubly offensive becasue it claims ... that God became one man, He and no other.  One cannot imagine any statement more offensive to the present-day scientific set of mind.  Accordingly, Hinduism and Buddhism, which have no scientific tradition... are far less offensive to the present-day scientic set of mind, are in fact quite compatible."  (Signposts, p. 312)

P.S.  I also saw no offense in your Baptist, et al comments..

Karey L. Perkins wrote:
Jim -- I wasn't trying to put down Southern Baptists, or those who believe
in JC, or those who don't, or those who think they're "fairy tales" (or even
liberal literary theorists).   Sorry if it came out that way.  The point
that I was trying to make is that NONE of these stances is a given any
more -- the person sitting next to you could just as easily believe in
Buddha, Mohammad, Christ, or be an atheist, or something else entirely.  The
person on the other side of you believes something completely different.
There are no universal spiritual truths that are agreed upon any more.  That
doesn't mean that there might not actually be universal spiritual truths (I
personally happen to believe there are, as I believe did Percy) just that
the 20th century didn't make that easy to find...it obscured such things,
and often, denied such things.  But people need this and as a result we have
existential loneliness and alienation of our times.  That's the problem with
the century -- but also the gift of the century.  If society doesn't give a
spirituality to you, then you have to search for the truth that really is
there.

KP