percy-l - Lancelot

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: David Alan Beck <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: percy-l AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Lancelot
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:26:11 -0500 (EST)

I don't want to change the thread, but a question came up in class today,
and I wanted to hear some other opinions. We are discussing Lancelot. I
usually focus on more of the philosophical aspects (i.e.
existentialism--Kierkegaard and Marcel) and don't go into much detail
about the Dantean and Arthurian aspect. But we were talking about the
Arthurian legend today, and one student asked if the number of Fr. John's
long since I've read those stories, I couldn't really answer him (I asked
to do some exploring as a possible paper topic). He wanted to know how
many knights were there. If it is 13, he said, the 12 yes's could
represent the "faithful" and the NO could represent Lancelot (who betrayed
Arthur).
Is there any plausibility here? I know that in my research, I don't
remember anything about it. (Of course, I could do some more research
myself but thought that some who know more of Arthur than I might
have a quick answer.)
Thanks.

David Beck

"Eternity is in the present. Eternity is in
the palm of the hand. Eternity is a seed of
fire, whose sudden roots break barriers that
keep my heart from being an abyss."
- Thomas Merton

  • Lancelot, David Alan Beck, 10/09/2002