percy-l - Re: Abduction, not kidnapping but guessing

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey L. Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Abduction, not kidnapping but guessing
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:23:09 -0400

I have several questions/thoughts, the first couple not related to Ken's insights below, the next are:

(1)  Did anyone go to the Percy Symposium?  How was it?  I couldn't make it, just wondering.  Hopefully I'll make it next year...

(2) I did make it to Loyola Univ. to take a peek at their Percy archives...just curious.  If you note on the Percy Internet Project it has a thoroughly detailed and itemized list of the Chapel Hill collection, and nothing listed for what Loyola has, just that Loyola has something.  I realized when I got there that that's because LOYOLA doesn't know what Loyola has.  Apparently Patrick Samway gave them a bunch of stuff about four years ago, and it has yet to be (organized? archived?  catalogued? not sure of correct term).  Arthur the Archivist escorted me through some of it, and there was some interesting stuff in the whole mish-mash of mush...including a signed and dedicated book by Ken Ketner...(!)  Lots of newspaper clippings, multiple editions, letters, "ephemera," but all of it closely guarded by our friendly archivist, who is, it turns out, not really the archivist.  She (the real Percy archivist) died a month ago, surely a bad (or perhaps blessed) fate for her, but definitely not a good thing for Loyola's Percy archives.

Anyway, among all this, there is a wonderful framed picture of Percy in a "morning suit" (isn't that what it's called -- a Southern tuxedo for morning weddings or special dressy occasions or some such) that I thought would be great on the Percy Internet Project site (Henry Mills, are you listening?).  However, my guide through the inferno, who was reluctant to even admit me into the inner sanctum, would doubtless not even consider releasing a copy of it to the likes of me...perhaps someone with more clout could make a case for it.

(3)  Ken, this information (below) has been really helpful, invaluable really, and all that quite apart from its entertainment value.  I truly appreciate it.  I have a million billion zillion questions to ask about all this stuff, but will restrain myself and not impede on your no doubt busy and important schedule as I imagine most of these questions will be answered in my future readings of Peirce, your book, et al.  However, there are some questions that might not be, and I'd be interested in your insights on the following:

Percy writes on page 322 of 2000 edition of Message in the Bottle regarding how men's [and women's] minds usually hit on the correct principle after only a few guesses, that "Peirce's own explanation of the extraordinary success...is founded in his own allegiance to philosophical realism, the belief that general principles actually operate in nature apart from men's minds and that men's minds are nevertheless capable of knowing these principles.   Peirce hazards the guess that, since 'the reasoning mind is a product of the universe,' it is natural to suppose that the laws and uniformities that prevail throughout the universe should also be 'incorporated in his own being' (Peirce)."

Percy responds, "Maybe so.  This is only speculation, however interesting, about why abduction works,"  and he goes on to philosophize about the theory of abduction itself.

With that, he dismisses it.  However, this seems to me to be a really crucial point, the crux of the whole issue, and a key (or certainly one of the keys) to the nature of man and Percy's "radical anthropology."  I'm wondering if Percy dismisses this due to his medical/scientific background (this is too "out there" for Percy, like astrology or some such which he clearly disparages).  Or he just overlooks it, for whatever reason.

The other thing, and I mention this at risk of revealing my lack of knowledge of Peirce (yet), is that it seems somewhat similar to Jung's synchronicity.  This seems to me to be the "third way" ... after mere cause-effect behaviorism, and after Descartes' dualism (both rejected by Percy), then Jung offers a viable alternative.  In fact, I had thought Percy mentioned that and went all the way back through Message in the Bottle to find it, and couldn't, and am now wondering if I just imagined that somewhere.  Does anyone know if Percy ever refers to Jung?

(4)  I found the essays you referred to on the Peirce site; would you recommend anything else on the site (the introductions perhaps?)

(5)  How can one obtain an issue of Doubletake?

(6) I'm giving a paper on Percy at the Conference on Christianity and Literature, St. Francis College, Oct. 26, New York....no special insights, just an attempt to summarize for my own purposes, his "semiotic...."

Karey