percy-l - Re: A comment re "pedophilia"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Mike Frentz <mfrentz AT bbn.com>
  • To: Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion <percy-l AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: A comment re "pedophilia"
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 09:39:04 -0400

Sunni,

I think Percy would take offense to the totally inaccurate use of language in
discussing this by
blindly parroting the press, as used in previous posts via the term
"pedophilia". Pedophilia is
not what this problem is about. Sexual sin (in this case covered by the
Church's definition of
sodomy and heterosexual fornication), the scandal imposed on the young
through this sin, and the
refutation of sworn vows to effectively "place the flock above the shepherd"
is the problem.
These are grave problems that should never have been tolerated within the
Church (and which the
Church must likewise openly condemn within society).

The representative case from what I've seen seems to be a man with homosexual
tendencies
(typically with a poor relationship with his own father), who seemed to sense
in his heart
homosexuality was wrong, and went into the priesthood with good intentions
but for the wrong
reasons (to stifle his homosexual tendencies rather than deal with the
problem). This type of
person never should have made the cut for priesthood, but they did, for a
variety of reasons
(one of which, for better or worse, is certain bishops implicit denial of
homosexuality as a
disorder despite Church teaching). In no way did I imply that the adolescent
was to blame.

The Church is comprised of individuals, but they are individuals who are in
communion as the
Body of Christ. Without the faithful you don't have a Church. Without the
infaithful, you
don't have humanity. Unfortunately, they go together. But still, you don't
reject Peter just
because Judas was a bastard. The people are the Church only as the
embodiment of the true
doctrine.

At least the RCC is held to a higher standard than the rest of society. I
regard that as a
positive sign (for all). Back to Percy (I hope?)

Mike