percy-l - Re: A Modest Proposal

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Rhonda McDonnell" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT hotmail.com>
  • To: percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: A Modest Proposal
  • Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 20:06:07 +0000

Although I'm not one to disregard the possibility of chemical imbalances which are real physical causes for ailments of the psyche, I also agree with your take on it. Modern society is too bent on easy fixes when, in truth, part of the human condition is anxiety. This all reminds me of SECOND COMING--Will Barrett lost his anxiety when he was medicated, forgot about the Jews disappearing, etc. but he didn't really feel better until he addressed the spiritual cause of his ailment.