pcplantdb - Tagged Plant Browsing (Alpha)

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Tagged Plant Browsing (Alpha)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:36:27 -0700

Hi all,

Well, it seems the list has been quiet of late.
I'd like to let you know I've put in some time implementing a tagged browsing system, which is now online. I showed some of the features and possibilities before, but now you can try browsing around with an actual database behind it.

See it here:
http://piw.openpermaculture.org

I've added additional information (via 'tags') based on the 650 or so plants that easily match between the USDA Plants database and the PIW/PFAF dataset. The words are currently arbitrarily clipped at those that occur >300 times in the descriptions to reduce the database size, which is why june is the first word listed. In actuality the,of,garden,plant,it,a rank nearest the top.

I put the database up on openpermaculture.org since I don't have access to the ibiblio hosted DB. I also need to link it back as part of the PIW project. It's currently in PHP, but could get ported over into Python.

I'd like to get some input from folks on this, see what could be improved etc, and what other interfaces to the data would be helpful, maybe a message out to the PIW list as well.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Bear

  • Tagged Plant Browsing (Alpha), Bear Kaufmann, 04/25/2006