pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Templating language

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Templating language
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:58:27 -0800

John wrote:

If I could get a templating language to work in that'd be nice. Either some PHP/Python crossover, a TAL templating system (native Python), or maybe Django. A little more Model/View/Controller like (Code <---> Content).

TAL, TAL, TAL!! Just use it. Clean separation of logic/presentation/content, mature, stable, already available for use with python, XML compliant, NO HTML MUNGING!! Repeat, NO HTML MUNGING! Just say NO to HTML munging... :-)

Our Roundup issue tracker uses TAL with python for its page generation BTW...

Yeah, I've used it before. Not a lot recently, but it's nice. Plus using macros and such it quite helpful (ie build a sidebar block macro, then include it where you want, perhaps conditionally based on a variable in 'context').

Check out:
http://www.owlfish.com/software/simpleTAL/example.html

How hard do you think that'd be to incorporate into the PIW source Chad?

Cheers,
Bear