pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Spam attacks on PFAF database

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, Peter Edmond <me@cb.ws>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Spam attacks on PFAF database
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:06:53 +0100

Hi Folk,
Just though you'd like to know at least one company
has been attempting to spam the comments on the pfaf database.

&lt;h1&gt;Please take a look at some helpful info about
&lt;A HREF="http://www.the-discount-store.com/diet-pills.html"&gt; diet effective most pill&lt;/A&gt; diet effective most pill http://www.the-discount-store.com/diet-pills.html A HREF="http://www.th
e-discount-store.com/diet-pills.html"http://www.the-discount-store.com/diet-pil ls.html /A br/. /h1 P Link: a href="http://www.the-discount-store.com/diet -pills.html" diet pills prescription /a diet pills prescription /P

Luckly these never got through the filters. Strangly this is because they used an <h1> tag which is not in the allowed vocabulary. The fools never even checked that a single spam worked! Nearly 30,000 such spams have been attempted.

I've now added a site specifc filter to reject these submissions and written them a cease and desist email.

Monotoring submissions, I get each submission mailed to me, is a good way to catch such attackes early.

Laters