pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:20:44 -0700

QUICK RESPONSE TO LAWRENCE IN CAPS:

Relationships matching could, in reality, become the heart of PIW or
at least one of its most popular and most
often used features.
BECOME THE HEART? IT *IS* THE HEART ;)

Looking at the big picture, Any User Anywhere,
gardener, farmer, landscaper, planner, designer, architect,
contractor, etc., etc. could find it an invaluable tool. Other than
plant relationships one might need relationships info on many topics.
A farmer might want to know what the _relationship_ between rotten
silage and rotten manure, spoiled hay and wood shavings,
for land application to build fertility, tilth and biological activity
in the soil. Maybe there are reasons not to apply silage and manure at
the same time
or shavings and silage or there might be a relationship (a positive one)
between rock dusts and manure, or silage for land application.
Since this is a PERMACULTURE information _web_ database with
relationships matching then info of this sort could become really useful,
along with plant info, to many people around the world. Building a soil
amendments data collection integrated into the db dataset would
be something users should be encouraged to do. This could be done
through direct user input and by using xml to glean data from many other
data sources, databases and
a variety of archives (I have a number of these as mail2html/Hypermail
or Mhonarc), text, html, ftp and mailing list (compost tea, sanet and
the permaculture list).

I wonder what Stephanie thinks of extending PIW functionality and data
gathering into this area since she was interested in SARE funding for
PIW use by market farmers
at one time.
YES, I WAS INTERESTED IN THIS POSSIBILITY. AND STILL AM. BUT AFTER
DISCUSSING WITH FOLKS AND DOING A BIT OF RESEARCH, I DECIDED IT'S SOMETHING TO
PURSUE IN THE FUTURE ONCE WE HAVE SOMETHING SOLID.

*s