pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] PIW, Eden and PFAF

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] PIW, Eden and PFAF
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:14:29 -0500

Marco Stahl writes:
> > Von: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
> > How do we make it obvious to users that Eden IS an improvement on the
> > PFAF-engine? Once again, how is this database different from all
> > others...
>
> My suggestions:
>
> * More documentation about the Keyword-Search with examples

Also some client side options to use some of the other search methods
like search by name explicitly, search by use, search the comments,
etc...

> * More information on the mainsite about the vision (specification)
> (or a link to the WIKI,dev.permaculture.com)

Agreed, I think there should be some links from vision maybe, to some
of the Spec stuff.

> -> A more PFAF-style OPTIONS-based-search

This is what I meant above. Wow, it's hard to complain about
something when the person who has done it wrong or hasn't done it is
yourself ;-)

> especially for someone like me with poor englishknowlege a keywordsearch
> isn't the "yellow of the egg" (maybe thats nonsense in english:-))
> Its always easy to read a foreign text,like a founded plant description,
> but
> guessing the right searchwords can be frustrating.
>
> To manage the huge heap of Plants I would like to have OPTION-based
> Filters.
>
> Example: After just looking for a "bean" , I would like to add a
> (Optionbased, maybe with a map) Filter for plants growing well in Germany
> in
> light shadow, after that i would like to add a filter for climbing plants
> (maybe with little icons, demonstrating the "Form" of the plant). After
> that
> I would like to search for others plants with this 2 filters, ...
> As registered user I would like to save und reuse such filters.
>
> I'm pretty shure that there are other users that prefer a
> "Klickable"-Interface, especial non-native-englishspeaking
> Non-permaculture-experts.

Someone else has suggested this in the past; Bear or Rich maybe. I
think it's a neat feature, but it's not scratching an itch of mine so
I'd personally like to defer on this although you are certainly
welcome to do it. Making the client more the way you like it is also
something I welcome you to do. Send me diff style patches against a
recent release and it will most likely make it into a release shortly.

In order to make working on the client easier. I'm creating an an API
document of the server methods that will be part of 0.2.1 and posted
on the wiki. Maybe today even?!?

> Saludos, Marco

Cheers,
Chad