pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Bug DB, specs, project management

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Bug DB, specs, project management
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:18:02 -0500

John Schinnerer writes:
> Hi Chad and all,
>
> > Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org> added the comment:
> >
> > I'm changing the severity to minor and the type to task. This seems
> more like a feature request to me,
> > and not a super important one IMO.
>
> (Above refers to Issue 14)
>
> I entered it as I did because I think it is very basic UI functionality,
> and essential to a user dealing with potentially dozens and dozens of
> pages of results.
>
> I myself have barely played with PIW searches, beyond looking at the
> first page or two, due to lack of this very functionality.

IMO, if you don't find it on the first page, we have a problem with
the search engine... not a display problem. If I can't get something
good out of google in the first page (100 items), I usually rework my
seach expression before going to the next page.

> I would still prefer we have an actual func spec that lays out
> intended/desired functionality and priorities/milestones for
> implementing same.
>
> Absent that, bugs or tasks that imply func specs can be entered ad hoc
> in the bug DB, though IMO that is a poor way to organize our time and
> resources and a poor way to design software.
>
> And, this exposes the main problems with an essentially unmanaged project.
>
> Anyone who doesn't like what someone else puts in the DB can just change
> it to suit themselves, as you have done with this bug.
>
> And of course I can just change it back, and then we have a useless
> pissing contenst.
>
> So I propose that we need to decide sooner rather than later how we can
> better deal with our lack of any formal fucntional/design specs and our
> lack of any formal project management.

I'm ok with implementing what[ever] folks what, I was nitpicking over
whether it was a bug or not.

> Here's my brief on how it generally works places I've worked:
>
> <snip>

That said, this *bug*/*feature* is trivially easy to implement, so
expect it soon.