pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Component areas in issue tracker

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <john@eco-living.net>, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Component areas in issue tracker
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:01:48 -0700

A FEW RESPONSES IN CAPS:

------ Original Message ------
From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
To: "Permaculture Plant DB project" <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>

Aloha,

> What is the difference between:
>
> Does it work right?
>
> and
>
> Does the infrastructure work right?

Former ('functional') is for the actual project code itself.

Latter ('hosting') is for supporting systems and software - that is, the
hosting system(s) that the actual project code runs on.

Both are "functional," and, it can be very helpful to separate functional
problems with "our" stuff from functional problems with "their" (e.g.
hosting provider) stuff.

CAN WE MAKE THIS CLEAR TO USERS PLEASE? BECAUSE THIS DISTINCTION WASN'T
CLEAR TO ME (AND ACTUALLY, I'M NOT SURE IT'S CLEAR YET). PERHAPS ONCE
YOU'VE FINALIZED THE COMPONENT AREAS, YOU CAN POST THEM TO PIW AND SEE IF
THEY'RE CLEAR TO USERS? I'M SURE HEIDE WOULD HAVE GREAT FEEDBACK.

> And what about: does it feel right/is it easy to use?

That could be written up as a bug, or as a suggestion; I have used at
least one system that has a type 'performance description' which could be
applicable for some of the "ease of use" stuff as well as actual
hardware/software performance issues that for whatever reasons are not
'bugs'.

For now I would prefer to just use type 'bug' or 'suggestion' for ease of
use and user feedback issues, respectively.
If it's hard to use, that's a bug at some level.
If users want it to work differently than it does but nothing is 'broken'
that's a suggestion of some kind.

AS LONG AS USERS HAVE SOME WAY OF SUBMITTING FEEDBACK REGARDING
USABILITY, I'M NOT PARTICULAR ABOUT WHAT FORM ITS IN/WHAT IT'S CALLED ;)

THANKS, JOHNS
*s

cheers,