pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] relationships again

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] relationships again
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:39:01 -0600

Ok, I think I have a proposal.

One of the big difficult questions for me re: relationships has been
how do we refer to elements that do not exist in the database yet, but
that we hope to have at some point. My answer: we don't. How about
at this point we only allow relationships between elements that exist;
in our case, plants. This will limit the effectiveness, but it is
doable and could support GBI display.

A rough table implementation:

Object | Relationship | Object | Notes
Plant A Wind break Plant B Withstands extreme oceanic...
Plant B Trap crop Plant A Rabbits love Plant B
Plant C Inhibits growth Plant B Secretes allelopathic hormone

A GBI display for Plant B would show a positive relationship path to
Plant A and a negative path tho Plant C.

I still don't really grok the relationship part of the equation, but I
think if we allow an 'open vocabulary' it might sort itself out. I'm
also proposing that relationships be unowned and unmoderated (for
now).

Whadyathink?