pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <john@eco-living.net>, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:44:27 -0800

permaculturish. I like that adjective.
*s

------ Original Message ------
From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
To: "Permaculture Plant Database" <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>

Aloha,

Agree strongly with Chad here...trying to (or insisting on) having just
one "authoratative" entry for some chunk of information is not what I want
to see in PIW.
The ranking/moderation of multiple facets/opinions/presentations is not
only IMO more powerful, it is more permaculturish.

We observe and experience many many different specific manifestations of
similar phenomena, from which we create what we call "general patterns."

I think what Chad is proposing/implementing is analogus to this for PIW,
and I think that is both good and appropriate.

Users will see a variety of re-presentations of information in PIW and
will use (and practice and enhance) their observation and discernment
skills to synthesize them for their own general and/or specific purposes.
That's why I think it's both good and appropriate.

To give PIW users this opportunity will be IMO one of the major strengths
and benefits of PIW.

"Computers...what good are computers? They only give answers!!"