pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Project plan feedback

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Project plan feedback
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:20:37 +0000

Aloha,

Next question - which may obviate my previous question - is this intended to be a high-level plan/overview for the sake of Threshold Foundation, or is this intended to be our actual working project plan for our use in guiding the project?
I AM ACTUALLY USING THIS AS A TEMPLATE FOR BOTH DOCS - ONE FOR THRESHOLD AND
ONE FOR US.

I see...I think more detail would be good for our side of this. I don't know what level of detail Threshold has asked for.

If the latter, I think a timeline based spreadsheet sort of layout would be more appropriate for our uses within the project - and easier to modify in terms of tracking what actually gets done when, what comes before/after/during what, adding details or sub-tasks, and so on.
FINE. DIDN'T YOU MENTION AT ONE POINT THAT WE COULD USE AN ISSUE TRACKER FOR
THIS PROCESS? OTHERWISE, WHAT SOFTWARE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND? MS EXCEL?

Issue tracker can be used to create and track specific tasks assigned to specific people - good for that, just like creating and tracking a bug, basically.
Not useable for creating a "document" of some type that will show timeline and people and tasks all together at various levels of detail.

A spreadsheet can usually do 'good enough' for creating timeline-based project plans. One or both of OpenOffice Calc and MS Excel are probably available to everyone here, yes?
For the sake of those using Excel we'd have to use the excel file format, since Excel is not sophisticated enough to read/write the OpenOffice XML-based open-source file format.
Or everyone could use OpenOffice (it's free and available for Windows...and for Mac OSX, though not quite native yet it appears...).

There are products specifically for project planning but I don't know what's available open-source and don't support buying commercial ones. Probably more than we need anyhow.

cheers,