pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Sites listing guilds?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Sites listing guilds?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:31:31 -0800

Hi folks,

I just got this message on OpenPermaculture:
>I've since found the resource section to be VERY useful, again this site is wonderful.
>A question though, has anyone found a site that provides numerous examples of guild designs?

Of course I'd like to mention our project, but we're not really there yet functionally. So are there any other recommendations of websites, or perhaps books on the subject? Things we might draw upon at a future date.

Also, have to agree that we should get to talking about the schema and get that XML DTD creation and discussion rolling. Not having researched the intricacies of DTDs, RDF, and OWL, anyone know if we can start rolling on Phase 1 by defining the XML DTD and plant properties, but be flexible enough to move on to relationships and RDF in a future phase? Is this something I should research more?

Also, for Phase 1, should we consider something like some of the social networking site designs, ie:
Clicking Family name queries for all plants in family (and on up if we have the data).
Clicking a use queries the DB for that use. Basically, promote surfing within data. This doesn't require explicit relationship info, just properties.
Perhaps each query link also comes with a plus symbol next to it, clicking the plus adds that term to the query.
Things like this should be possible without a whole lot of fuss with the current DB.

Cheers,
Bear Kaufmann
www.ursine-design.com

  • [pcplantdb] Sites listing guilds?, Bear K, 02/03/2005