pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Folksonomies, relations

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Folksonomies, relations
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:07:03 +0000

Aloha,

I think it is going to be difficult to think up all the possible
relationships in advance unless they are fairly simple gradations from
good to neutral to bad. My initial inclination is to go the
uncontrolled route. What are others visions of relationships? As in,
what are they going to look like? A word and list(s)? A comment
(plus lists)?

I've been assuming the relations will 'grow' from user input, with some initial ones put in place by us from whatever info base we have for that.

Makes no sense to me to not at least allow additions (edits?) of relation info. Obviously we aren't going to catalog them all beforehand.

I would guess they need to allow for brief comments.
We might also have a dynamic list of words or very short phrases for the emergent most common relations, e.g. the patterns in naming relations that already exist and/or emerge as relation info is added to the system.

So I would say a dynamic list of words/very short phrases that user picks from (and can add to, or at least can submit an addition to some sort of moderation), plus ability to add a brief comment.

Each plant object could acquire an arbitrary number of these.

Some off-the-cuff words/phrases as examples (these are 'generic' - comment seems obvious place to elaborate for those that need elaboration):

shelters
sheltered by
climbs on
supports climbing of/by
provides habitat
needs habitat
root zone compatible with
root zone incompatible with

Hmmm, relation characteristics like the "root zone (in)compatible" ones and similar could be elaborated by linking to relevant plants...so, for a given plant, select a relevant word/phrase, then possibly elaborate in comment and/or link to relevant other plants that "finish the phrase."

So something with a shallow root zone would have an attribute 'root zone compatible with' and linkages to plants with deep root zones (ideally ones that also had other relevant relations...this is just an off-the-cuff example, remember? ;-)