pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[27][11.19.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[27][11.19.04]
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:25:03 -0800

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

1. Thanks to both Lawrence and JohnH for volunteering to be webmasters. Who's it going to be? It appears that both of you are qualified - perhaps
more a matter of time and commitment?

I didn't realy intent my offer to be taken seriously. John H is FAR more
qualified for
this job than I and I expect the requirements will far exceed my skills. I
would like to offer
the items I listed earlier if he/webmaster can use them in the site - more a
role of providing content,
somewhat unique in form.

7. Rich asked, "This is really the central question. Where do we position
ourselves on the flatDB -- wiki spectrum?" I say we position ourselves at
whatever spot on the spectrum is most conducive to acheiving our goal. And if

Right on! Rich's innovative ideas are always inspiring and I will always
support them.
I like cutting edge technology for the Web so I can be counted on to skirt
the path of
conservatism and moderation..... most of the time.

it requires innovation on our part, so be it! As I've said before, this

Amen!

project will be valuable not only because of its informational content, but
also because of the manner in which information is presented and interacted
with. PIW could be a model for virtual cross-pollination of information...

Right, right, right! Well said Lady Stephanista.

8. Schema stuff looks great. I'm fascinated. And I assume now would be a
good time to write up my vision for the UI/User Experience? Just to see how
it matches up with the code. Also, I did go through this thread and got the
gist - but Chad, do you think you could write up a short non-technical summary
of how you're organizing the information? Not only for me to read, but so
that other non-techies (i.e. Scott) can understand and contribute. We could
even post this on the PIW website (which needs more content anyway). What do

Great proposal.

you think? Not to give you an extra workload...

S'more work for you (or anyone else): can we (or did we already) devise a list
of PC-centric characteristics that we're going to allow users to search by? I
remember a thread regarding "attributes" a while back, but it might be nice to
create an actual list of attributes, and post it on the website as well -
welcoming feedback.

Also a very good idea.

Another idea. It would be pretty fantastic if you could sort results by more
than one attribute, i.e. sort by edibility and water needs. A friend once

Enter a list of (system-accepted) attributes in a dialog box along with
numerical
scoring of importance of each to users doing search - this might produce
results easier to sort throuh
and interpret aand print off or save to file.

told me about a 3-dimensional sorting scheme, where you could sort by 3
attributes (x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis) and see the information mapped onto a
cube. Is this useful? Interesting? Nonsense?

I can see a 3 dimensional sort of attributes with each dimension representing
a tree of information - you could pick
a branch/twig/leaf from each dimension rather than each dimension
representing a linear array of data.