pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] new proposal

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] new proposal
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:30:56 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:

Ok, let me toss a new proposal out.

We drop Zope/HG and start with the latest version of Eden. We get an
account on Ibiblio and set up the existing version as soon as they
generate said account. Development of PIW will focus on creating a
well structured (fully normalized) RDB using MySQL but will be
portable to other RDBMSs. Manipulation and display of the dataset
will be done by many different tools but the initial development will
extend Eden (a python cgi) to meet the Phase 1 specifications.

Sounds simple enough eh? Anyway, if you really have concerns about
switching directions here let me know asap. I will be writing
Ibibilio on Friday asking for an account if I don't here any blocking
concerns. In the meantime I will shake some of the dust of off Eden
and will be running it temporarily on my laptop accessible at
elly.galatea.org (not yet, I'll announce) and starting active
development as soon as tomorrow and as late as Friday.

Back on the wagon,
Chad

Sounds good to me.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants