pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Biomimicry defined

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Biomimicry defined
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 01:44:26 -0700

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/000029.html

Biomimicry - the redesign of industrial processes and products based on new understandings of how natural systems and creatures accomplish similar ends - may be the most promising branch of the growing sustainable design movement.

As Janine Benyus puts it:

"Biomimicry (from bios, meaning life, and mimesis, meaning to imitate) is a new science that studies nature's best ideas and then imitates these designs and processes to solve human problems. Studying a leaf to invent a better solar cell is an example. I think of it as "innovation inspired by nature."

"The core idea is that nature, imaginative by necessity, has already solved many of the problems we are grappling with. Animals, plants, and microbes are the consummate engineers. They have found what works, what is appropriate, and most important, what lasts here on Earth. This is the real news of biomimicry: After 3.8 billion years of research and development, failures are fossils, and what surrounds us is the secret to survival.