pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] ahhh

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "PCPLANTDB" <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] ahhh
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:48:35 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> Implementation wise, I've been thinking that the root plant object
> would actually only be a unique set of identifiers such as botanical
> name. .... Anyway,
> my question is what combination of nomenclature should we use to
> identify a unique plant in the context of what will be the most useful
> division to our users.

There are complications with botanical names in some situations, such as
bamboos - there are ongoing disagreements in some cases as to what the
"correct" name is for a given bamboo.
In other words even the experts don't agree on one name...I suppose you
could include several and it would be found via any one of them?