pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] ahhh

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] ahhh
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:09:14 +0100

Chad Knepp wrote:

Doing better, I think I have every major bug re: Zope ironed out with
a fully function BTree based ObjectManager like product and functional
HGObjects. No [breakable] promises on a real release yet, but I can
almost smell it.

This is the magical line that made my head hurt figuring out:
manage_addProduct=App.FactoryDispatcher.ProductDispatcher()

Well found. Its always these magic line which make things tricky.

I knew OFS.ObjectManger had something that HG didn't but it's 691
lines long and it took me a while to figure it was this one line.

Someone asked what 'HG' was. HG is the internal name of the actual
product, which stands for Holy Guacamole, which was the subject line
of the Stephanies email to the list when she found out we got the
grant. It's funny, laugh! Anyway, python is really truly named after
Monty Python so we obviously fit in here.

A slight concern about using HG throughout the code base.
I supose its a bit of an in joke and we will need to explain it to everyone who comes along. The danger is that five years done the line we may be cursing the HG tag. We should at least explain the HG tag somewhere high up in the documentation.

I've had a quick browse through the code base Chad uploaded,
seems like theres a lot of work there.

Not sure how to get it running at home, any pointers?

Cultivars seems to be missing from the names bit. These are quite important in the pfaf db as there are lots of different apple cultivars some of which have different growing requirments.

There is a design decision here, should cultivars be a plant in their own right (i.e. an instance of class Plant) or as in the pfaf db
as a set of properties depending on a particular plant.

I'd feel easier if the Botanical Names and Common names each had their own classes. I think this could be useful in the long term when we might want to expand the types of name allowed, (say if we want to add a language for a common name, or if we have a rose specalist who's interested in forma). These also advantages if the accepted name and the synonyms shared the same type.

We may also end up with a very heavy weight plant class with all the properties in it (hence harder to modify). Splitting the plant class into a main container class which have a number of smaller classes making up the whole could make for an easier object hiearachy.

Anyway looking good so far

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org