pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: [pfaf] What is a tree?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: [pfaf] What is a tree?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:19:24 +0100

Sara Watson wrote:
Hi, Richard.

I'm new to the group and just read your email and agree that perhaps
"treeness" is not the best basis for attributes; however, you have a
wide array of users, from those who know the correct botanical
terminology to some sloppy endusers, like myself, who still rely on
some very basic and general characteristics as a means of
researching--so I think for me, searching for "tree" in addition to
other characteristics like deciduous or environ, is as valuable as say
Fabaceae etc. And if the database is to be looked at as a means of
educating the public, it seems important to include the lowest common
denominator in addition to very specific informatin for the
well-informed.

Is the database so limited that it wouldn't provide for mutiple
attributes? I'll have to check it out.

Thanks,

Sara W. Burgess

Hi Sara,
Good to hear from you. Yes I quite agree that we should
keep "tree" in the the database, for all the reasons you discussed.

The point of the post was really a bunch of random thoughs about what the concept of tree means and some musings over quite how patchy the occurences of trees are in plant family tree, a fact that I find rather curious.

No need to worry!

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org