pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[17][8.26.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[17][8.26.04]
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:40:37 -0700

Sounds good, Johns (how's that for a name? And John H. - would you like
Howe or Johnh? Or something else?)

I'll definitely help out with the non-techie testing, and the "how to
write a really good bug" documents would be great. I'll try to get to
this over the long weekend.

peace
*Stephanie

John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net> wrote:

Aloha,

> Thanks for your post Schinnerer, super comprehensive.

Thanks, and, I respectfully insist that I not be referred to by my last
name.
Not even my very best friends get to call me by my last name. Not more
than a few times, anyhow, and I've had to chew on a few of them
repeatedly to put a stop to it.

JohnS or johns or Johns or johnS or whatever is easiest to type if the
space and the period in John S. are too much overhead, I don't care.
Just not Schinnerer, or schinnerer either for that matter... ;-)

> I'll make my bugzilla account etc. sometime today, and all of us should
do the
> same.

Speaking of which, I just created an actual project for
permaculture.info in Bugzilla - it's the only project, so you don't have
to worry about selecting the right one.
I also created a handful of example project components - UI, database,
functional spec and test plan, just to make it a bit more realistic.

Chad, you will have gotten a few e-mails from bugzilla re that test bug
you entered - I moved it to the new project and assigned it to you.
If you don't get some mails from bugzilla let me know ASAP.

> Related, you wrote "Read through Bugzilla help links and play around
with it -
> create a bug or two, query bug database, ask me questions if something
is
> unfathomable." Does this apply to everyone? I.e., are you expecting
Scott
> and I to do this as well? Or is this more for techie folks? (hint
hint) I'm
> more than willing, but feel like I'd better spend my time grant-
seeking...

Non-tech folks - especially non-developers - are some of the best
testers. You don't know too much, you're not too close to the code, you
find the really really obvious stuff that the developers don't notice
because they're the developers.

In other words, it would be great if everyone - especially non-tech
folks - does some testing once there is something to test, and anyone
testing needs to at least know how to enter a bug properly. So no rush
at the moment, and, please at some point take a look there, create an
account, and play a bit.
I will put up a "how to write a really good bug" document to complement
the bugzilla help, but it will be late this week most likely before I
get to that.

> From a shared web workspace, you asked for "Support easy posting of
standard
> format static documents. Support auto-annotated group work on docuemnts
in
> progress." Will we be able to get this from a wiki?

I don't know...my lack of enthusiasm for wikis is probably pretty clear
but there may well be some that do the above just fine.

I think more of a CMS (content management system) might serve better
than a plain wiki - TikiWiki claims to be a CMS as well as a Wiki, but I
haven't looked into it enough to see if it does both the above.