pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] ZOPE - ibiblio hosting revisited - good news

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] ZOPE - ibiblio hosting revisited - good news
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:53:46 -0700

I need feedback from the programmers on this or sent such directly to the
folks at ibiblio at help@ibiblio.org

Steph: Tell these folks to get going on this asap.

ZOPE on ibiblio
---------------\

I just talked to the director of ibiblio, Paul Jones, and asked again if
offering ZOPE to us would be possible.

Th reply was:

Send us a proposal stating exactly what hardware we think we might need to
run HG under ZOPE on ibiblio.
In other words, how much processing power and especially how much storage
space.

<>

We might make a donation to them for hardware or staff services but the need
for that has not been determined -
Of course they may decide to provide this for free.

My impression is that we would be able to have ZOPE on ibiblio within 6
months or less.

They have talked about adding ZOPE before and were going to consider it
again. The newer version of ZOPE would likely be something
they would consider stable and not a maintenance headache.

They would like to make ZOPE available to everyone doing work on ibiblio who
wanted to use it, not just us on our own server.

As for hardware, they use hardware different from what we use, i.e. rack mounted
"industrial" machines operating in a cluster environment -
the cluster environment, as opposed to a dedicated environment, is perceived to be a problem for their running ZOPE but something called ZEOS is available to increase the stability of ZOPE running in a cluster environment.

Paul said for us to send them (help@ibiblio.org) a proposal telling them what
we want to do and what we need hardware-wise (storage space
and, I suppose, processing power), they can figure bandwidth needed from
those specs.

Will one of you either email them stating our needs or let me know and I'll
contact them.

Thanks,

Lawrence