pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] ingredients for hg

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Howe" <warlock@arashi.com>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] ingredients for hg
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:31:57 -0700 (PDT)

>> And I suggest that we make a project plan with
>> deadlines,
>
> Milestones might be a better approach. Outcome or performance based.
> There will be a fair bit of free/volunteer work here so IMO "deadlines"
> are unrealistic; also milestones are more
> software-development-appropriate.

Deadlines *always* slide in software development ( or features disappear
). I would say release on functional points, release often ( agile
development, establish the software storyboard, and build the app from
there ). A Scrum model may also be appropriate if being paid as a NPO
requires deliverables to the upstream benefactors:

http://members.cox.net/risingl1/articles/IEEEScrum.pdf
http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/newMethodology.html
http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/darrell.norton/articles/3910.aspx

>> If we
>> chose to have some kind of license/copyright, what would be the
>> intention?
>
> Open source for HG is my intention - free as in freely available,
> accessible and licensed so that it will stay that way.

Ditto.

For agile development project tracking, you may want to check out:
http://www.xplanner.org/

John Howe, B.S, M.A.
http://www.arashi.com/

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
-- Albert Einstein