pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] some responses...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] some responses...
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 12:23:41 -0700

howdy yalls,

A few comments:

Richard wrote, “I think the problem for me is that when I talked to Jim
it really brings up the questions which we have not thrashed through
ourselves yet. Do we share a tight enough vision of what the project will
be.” However, as with Permaculture, every problem is a solution – and
these conversations with Jim turned out to be the perfect impetus to get
us (er, you guys) considering these critical questions. When asked what
next, Richard also wrote, “Finding out what the key questions we need to
ask ourselves are” – looks like Jim certainly helped us out with that
one!

I Love reading your posts (even though I don’t understand a word of most
of it) – and feel lucky to be collaborating with you all.

And I agree, if we develop something simple initially and save “bells and
whistles” until later, then at least we will have something concrete to
show if/when we apply for additional funding. The next funding round for
the Whole Systems Foundation (very interested in our project, but wanted
more information) is in the fall – and it would be wonderful to have
something to show them by then.

Someone mentioned that it would be prudent to know what our users want.
And once we get started, we should definitely send a message to all
permie-related lists describing the projects and asking about their
needs.

Chad wrote, “I'm starting to fuzz out on what the front end would
actually be anymore. I would be interested in hearing what you think the
front end is going to do…” Fuzz out on the front end? (Uh-oh, here
comes Stephanie with her dream again.) At the most fundamental level, I
see the message matching the medium. So if the message is inter-
relationships between plants (information conducive to designing
meaningful and beneficial relationships between components of a
landscape), then the medium must be able to visibly present these inter-
relationships. To me, it doesn’t matter if we use TouchGraph or Thinkmap
(or any GBI for that matter) – I would just stress that the user
interface (front end) allow people to think, learn, and create in terms
of relationships. I have always wished there were a web-making authoring
tool, and that is somewhat how I imagine this becoming…

Someone wrote (sorry, I lost who it was), “My original thinking is that
even though it was billed as a half-time job it would actually make more
sense to work full time until much of the coding bit was done and then
refine/maintain as authoring began. After the design considerations are
finalized it seems like not much else can happen until we have some alpha
level product to start playing with. In the initial proposal there are
two people Paula Westmoreland and Robin Williamson listed as subject
matter experts. It's my opinion that maybe authoring should be postponed
at this phase of the project until more financing becomes available. It
is also my own belief that we will get the best/most content by creating
a tool that solicits it from the general public and not by trying to do
it in house. I think it makes the most sense to focus this initial
funding on design and development.” I completely agree. Paula and
Robin? What do you say?

Finally, I will also be applying for funding from the Lindbergh
Foundation. Can all of you please check their website (http://
www.lindberghfoundation.org/) and/or their grant application (http://
www.lindberghfoundation.org/grants/grantapp2005.html) and let me know if
there is anything specific you have come up with in these past few weeks
that I should add? Or, I can simply send out the application once I am
finished with it, and solicit feedback. Either way, I’d really
appreciate your input.

Allright. Thanks for discussion…

Peace
*Stephanie

  • [pcplantdb] some responses..., Stephanie Gerson, 05/16/2004