pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Eden update

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Eden update
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:44:23 -0600

So I'm doing a little more work on Eden before I have to move on to
paying propositions. I've decided to focus on the dataset which
hasn't changed since PCPDB. My plans are to do some optimization
oriented restructuring as well as merging in the plants.usda.gov
database which I've already started. It has some nice stuff, with
around 83,000 names, 44,000 non-synonyms, and about 3300 exact matches
with PFAF/Eden plants. It takes over an hour, on my computer anyway,
to match the 44k names with the dataset. A lot of the fields are
overlap, but there are some new interesting ones, esp. more detailed
cultural info. Sometime within the next week I hope to make a 0.2.x
release that will be completely incompatible with the 0.1.x releases.
If you haven't downloaded it yet and are planning to, wait till I
announce 0.2.x.

I've also started a low budget Google AdWords campaign to [hopefully]
draw more developer attention. If you search for permaculture or a
few of the other keywords on google.com you might see the add. DON'T
click on it please, it costs me $.05. I may spam the permaculture
list at some point after the 0.2.x release to get more attention as
well.

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'

  • [pcplantdb] Eden update, Chad Knepp, 02/06/2004