pcplantdb - Re: [[pcplantdb] <<database<<>>project>>]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[pcplantdb] <<database<<>>project>>]
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:12:16 -0700

hi Chad,

thank you for responding!

yes, I checked out the PFAF database- and it is very impressive. I would
want to create something that was freely accessible to anyone, however.
And I am currently seeking funding for the project so that it *can* be
freely accessible. And I definitely welcome your input, advice,
participation--especially if this is something you were, and still are,
interested in doing.

In terms of incorporating the complexity of information- I have spoken
with the Business Development Manager of this particular application, and
have described Permaculture and guilds to him, and he thinks it would
work beautifully. I have also spoken with Lawrence London, who agrees
that this application is ideally suited for developing a guild-designing
tool. I am certain it will get quite complex, as any system does, but I
will learn as I go along....!

Right now I am basically trying to gauge interest, and find potential
collaborators. I think the grant proposal would carry much more weight
if there was wide support from the Permaculture community. I would Love
to discuss with more with you, and if you are interested in the project
and find it valuable, even include your name in the proposal as one of
the practicing Permaculturists who endorses this project. We can discuss
by phone (where do you live? er, what time zone do you live in?) or I
can describe the project in better detail through email.

And out of curiousity, can you tell me a bit about yourself? Just
wondering.

thank you again for responding, I look forward to being in touch

(And of course, if you are too busy to participate, but just want to be
kept updated- no worries, completely understandable. This project is by
us for us, and for anyone who wishes to live more sustainably.)

enjoy the eQuInOxXxxXxx

peace
*Stephanie

Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org> wrote:

Yes, elements of this idea have appeared before
<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/pcplantdb/2003-March/000069.html>.
Lack of funding was the reason I discontinued work. The PFAF
<http://pfaf.org/> database is an incredible resource and should be
incorporated in future works. I'm a bit skeptical as to how well a
high level tool will be able to accommodate the complexity and volume
of the information you plan on working with and still remain
effective.

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'