pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Wiki/DB relations

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Wiki/DB relations
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:55:44 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:
It's a fine idea to have the wiki collect data for the eventual plant
DB. But as your conversation recognizes, to automate moving data from
the wiki to the DB, the wiki data schema has to match the DB schema.

As I will occupy all time I have available to entering data into the wiki
(and into my website) I will leave porting it to the db to others. I want
a record of and my own copy of contributions I make to the db. Rich needs to
let us know what the nonpaying public will be able to access in PFAF and what
they
can do with information resources thet derive from PFAF. As I have spent over
15
years doing what I do on the Web without pay I have a special interest in the
open
source information concept. I understand PFAF needs income but for my
purposes I want
what I donate to PFAF to be made available to the public for free. Otherwise
I should
make my contribution in the form of input to the Wiki. Regarding that, the PC
Wiki
is in my ibiblio account and I alone control it. However, if anyone is uneasy
with my
"owning" it, I am willing to move it to another website, one that I will have
ibiblio
create for us, something like pcwiki, The Permaculture Wiki, The Open
Permaculture Project Online.
It can be set up with access to a group of us who will have write permission
to the filesystem
(having several people doing work there might make maintenance and upgrades
easier).
Those with group access to this website will have to be content providers
(you need to build
and maintain your own website) and have accounts on ibiblio. If anyone is
serious about following up
on this let us know here in the list and we can discuss pursuing this option.

It would be easy enough to put up a form for entries to the wiki that

Keep in mind that wiki does not use html and you'd have to watch out about
wiki words
which could be a problem with text preparation, though there may be a
workaround,
but that may require some special simple wikicodes which would have to be
removed before
the data was entered into pfaf. Shouldn't be that much of a problem though.

Automating porting of plantdb data from the wiki directly into pfaf might be
a problem,
so it might have to be done by hand - still what pfaf finds in the wiki will
be a freebie
for them to use as they see fit, unless the group wants to use the gnu (?)
copyleft license.

The form used to enter db data in the required format into the wiki (a great
idea)could actually
become a plugin or an existing plugin could be used with switches or
modifications (WikiForm).

people want to automatically put into the DB when it's ready. But that
requires the DB to be far enough along that the wiki form could match
the DB input needs.

Seems like a bit of a chicken-egg problem. Until the DB structure is
well-developed, the wiki can't use it to start gathering data. So
seems like the DB content/structure needs to be the immediate focus.

The Wiki can begin collecting data anytime and the sooner the better.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/london