pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: PC DB, using Wiki

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: PC DB, using Wiki
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:12:54 -0700

[a few rough hewn ideas BK and I tossed around tonight about using Wiki in
the development of the pcplantdb]

Lil' 10/16/20 1:14 AM Yes, wiki has some great futures, I wonder if
theres a way to export a simple text version
of the DB to the wiki, allow ending in full
text, then reinsert it into the DB, of
course
folks would have to be pretty strict in
terms
of syntax, or it'd get confused. I wonder if
Chad could host his creation for a few of us
to look at, if not the general public.

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:27 AM about that: doing the above in reverse - we
build the wiki with data formatted
conforming to
standards required by pfaf

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:22 AM Yes, I'd like to see Chad's db version too. I
emailed him about helping with the project
and
he said he probably would sometime early
this
winter after present committments are done

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:28 AM - with certain levels of access to the wiki
logged in users can download entire wiki as
a zip file
- maybe I could set up a special wiki just
for
the plantdb so that the
entire wiki will be devoted to the plantdb
and
data would conform to required
standards then - periodically the entire
wiki
can be downloaded and ported
into the pfaf. I like this idea best.

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:29 AM also - phpwiki dev team is working on preset
access levels with permissions
for wiki pages (i.e. edit command, download
zip archive, etc.)
this means having groups with special access
to certain parts/all of a wiki.

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:31 AM This will enable us to protect our work .
Incentive would be provided for users to add
data to the wiki
if they ultimately want to see it in the
PFAF
db,
though they could submit data directly to
pfaf if they wished

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:34 AM submitting it initially to the wiki allows
them to be stakeholders - they get to create
their own page where they can develop their
own dataset - their data gets incorporated
into the plantdb wiki with wikilinks or a
copy
of their data can be insered into the
plantdbwiki in the appropriate places -
users
with their own

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:36 AM pages would be the only ones with edit accesss to
them. If wiki links are used to
connect their data in their page to the main
pcplantdb wiki page(s) they would
need to format their data/pages to conform
the plantdb standard for formatting
(hopefully
so it would be compatible with input format
required for data added to pfaf)

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:38 AM This is exactly what true whitepages are
supposed to do:
allow users to collaborate on creation
of a single project (db, info tree or
document) - this is also what SSI does,
server
side includes (I think xml may use this,
don't know).

dirtfarmer 10/16/20 1:48 AM in fact a website created expressly for the
plantdb and plantdb wiki could indeed use
ssi
to interlink all the various pcplandb
contributors' wikipages into a single
coherent
website - this would give us the opportunity
to use html coding
(not recommended in the wiki).

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/london