pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB and introduction]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB and introduction]
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:41:56 -0700

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:00:09 -0400
From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Hiya all,

I've been a long time lurker on this list but this current thread has
not gotten what to me seems an obvious answer. Early this spring I
got a hold of the Plants for a Future database as a text file and
pushed it into MySQL and wrote a little perl CGI script that let me
search the way I wanted and gave me the output I wanted. The PFAF
website used to display all the information in rather hard to read
boxes. My script displayed the information in a readable paragraph
form. My other goals included some restructuring (it's kinda messy),
and creating a public website to allow user input via corrections,
notes/observations, and new entries. Then things outside started to
grow... During this process I did have some dialog with Richard
Morris and he did seem like it would be possible to license a version
of the DB (no scripts/pictures/extras) with some kind open
source/content license. The last time I checked the current license
did not allow non-private use of more than 10% of the DB without
express permission/$$$. He also changed the PFAF website to read in
paragraph form!

The Wiki idea is even better in that allows form more information that
just plants. Since the chosen Wiki engine has a MySQL backend, it
seems like a short step to add all 7390+ PFAF plants with a little
glue code. There is also a related project called PCplantDB which
I think intends to use PFAF and other contributions to create another
more open PCDB.

I'm also interested in doing this kind of stuff provided I had time.
That means November/December at the earliest.

Chad
--
Sandhill Farm
<sandhillfarm.org>

  • [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB and introduction], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/16/2002