pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: Database ideas

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: Database ideas
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 18:00:34 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

I like the root zones data idea from the other post...very useful for
designing polycultures/guilds, choosing plants for available soil
depths, etc.

> Only problem with too many graphics is it slows down loading of the
> page. Our current page is pretty fast to load and I think our users
> appreciate that.

I certainly do. Provide links to images of plants, etc. - so they're
available, but not 'required', on the results page.

A good set of text abbreviations (one, two, maybe up to three letters
and/or internationally standard (Unicode?) symbols) to identify groups,
characteristics, zones, etc. etc. would be very efficient compared to
dozens of little graphics. For those who really can't live without
little icons everywhere, they could be an option for the user who
doesn't mind the bandwidth hit.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA