pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: Interactive Projects/information/guilds database --+-- Idea for -- getting the DB effort off the ground quickly

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: Interactive Projects/information/guilds database --+-- Idea for -- getting the DB effort off the ground quickly
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:09:17 +0100

> We need a DB oriented toward North America and those in Europe need
> their own. I plan to contribute to the North American DB effort. I
> think we need to program our own DB's on our respective servers, using
> whatever DB platform we choose (PHP/MySQL for me), and link them all
> together with a common front end of some sort; then link all this to
> PFAF and other external DB's. Seems this is all possible.
Why should the programming effort be invested twice? Software and data
models that work for North America should work for Europe too, as long as
the platform used is agreed on. Of course then there can be different data
bases for different parts of the world running on different machines.

I think it is a good idea to use a free and open source platform and let the
resulting software also be open source.

Andreas

  • [pcplantdb] Re: Interactive Projects/information/guilds database --+-- Idea for -- getting the DB effort off the ground quickly, keller, 12/22/2001