pchealth - [pchealth] Salad recipe plus dressing

pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculturist Health

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: Permaculturist Health <pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pchealth] Salad recipe plus dressing
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:22:06 -0700

SALAD:

lettuce (take your pick and include romaine, frisee, mizuna)

sliced tomato

raw garlic diced or onion

thin strips of carrot (use a potato peeler or vegetable grater)

celery (organic) diced

green pepper, diced,

avocado

OTHER SALAD INGREDIENTS:

small amounts of thinly sliced yellow or zucchini squash

radish

lemon or other citrus

olives or capers

sprouts

sun dried tomatoes

you can also add canned vegetables like corn, peas, snap beans, beets, asparagus

I don't add protein ingredients because I get that from the main meal entree and for me it detracts from the overall appeal of the vegetable only salad - the only exception might be anchovies

DRESSING:

sunflower or safflower oil

organic cider vinegar

black pepper

granulated garlic (I like Trader Joe's)

optional: a little juice and pulp from a can of tomatoes

herb-vegetable seasoned salt (I like Iberia Seasoned Salt in Walmart's Hispanic section or A. Vogel Herbamare Herbed Sea Salt from a natural food store or online, I use this all the time as it is low salt and doesn't overpower)

honey or Trader Joe sweet chilli sauce (or Asian sweet chilli sauce)

add plenty of oil (it seems that the key to the success of this dressing is having lots of oil which thickens it and brings out the flavor); mix ingredients in jar, pour on salad and toss

I guarantee you will like this. Delete whatever vegetables you don't like.

This is just a basic salad that most people fix and not fancy. It blends well with the salad dressing I listed which is one I made at home. I found it to be delicious and works every time, never get tired of it. I had bought some of Walmart's cheap Italian dressing in a big bottle, used it up then made my own batch in that same container.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

  • [pchealth] Salad recipe plus dressing, Lawrence London, 10/11/2021