pchealth - [pchealth] FWD: search for old cookbooks

pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculturist Health

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Permaculturist Health <pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pchealth] FWD: search for old cookbooks
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:25:42 -0500

Subject: Fascinating Old Cookbooks!

Clue for Book #1: "Pears"
Some recipes in it: Mock Goose on Page 811, Mock Crab on page 813, Mock
Omelet on Page 819
I thought this book might have been "Pears Family Cookbook" by Bee
Nilson, so I ordered it from a second hand bookshop, but those recipes
were not inside. (I live in Australia and this book was available here
in Granny's time.)

Clue for Book #2: “Large Beeton 1925?”
Clearly this is an edition of Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household
Management, but I cannot find which one.
Some recipes in it: Mock Hare Soup p. 1170, Mock Turtle Soup p. 149 &
138, Mock Fish Patties p. 1178,

Clue for Book #3: “”Small Beeton 1888?”
This must be another edition of Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household
Management, but again I cannot find it.
Some recipes in it: Mock Turtle Soup p. 90-91

Clue for Book #4: “Penguin”
I thought this might have been the “Penguin Cookery Book”, also by Bee
Nilson, so I managed to find a copy but again, it turned out to be a
false lead.
Some recipes in it: Mock Oyster Soup: p. 39, Mock Almond Paste, p. 612

Clue for Book #5 “English Cookery”
This turns out *not* to be “The English Cookery Book, Uniting Good Style
with Economy”, Collected by A Committee of Ladies, ed. JH Walsh.1859.
It’s not the nineteenth century “The English and Australian Cookery
Book”, either.
Some recipes in it: Half-Pay Pudding p. 90, Nettle Beer p. 376, Roly
Poly p. 105

  • [pchealth] FWD: search for old cookbooks, venaurafarm, 02/21/2013