ocba - [ocba] what to do with partially capped honey frames?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Julie Grill <jhgrill AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] what to do with partially capped honey frames?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 19:41:14 +0000

I am in my second year of beekeeping and this is the first season I have used honey supers.  I harvested honey from one of my hives back in June.  I left the honey super on the hive and left behind 2 + frames of partially capped honey and filled in with empty frames for the bees.  Since then, the bees added more nectar/honey to 3 more frames, but none of them are full or sufficiently capped to extract.  There is some honey in the brood box, but seems like they need to have more there.

I removed the super thinking I should encourage the bees to store honey in the brood box for winter, but am not sure if this was the right thing to do.  I am feeding my other hive and also thought I should feed this one.  If I leave the super off, what do I do with the frames of mostly open honey/nectar?  The super is a medium and the brood boxes are deeps.

Thanks for any advice!

Julie Grill

.

  • [ocba] what to do with partially capped honey frames?, Julie Grill, 08/22/2017