ocba - Re: [ocba] Bees at pool

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Mark Waller <wallermarkw AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bees at pool
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 14:36:19 -0400

Mark,

This problem is best addressed at the source. Responsible beekeepers should ensure that their bees are trained on a reliable source of water that doesn't create a nuisance to people. Once the bees find a wonderful pool, hot tub or bird bath as a water source, it is difficult to break them from it.

When the bees leave the pool, they go straight back to their hives. You can bee-line them (follow their flight path or chart the angle of their flight path on a map) to find their hives. Chances are they belong to a nearby beekeeper, probably within a half a mile or less of the pool.

The article <here> talks a little bit about bees & water, with one or two suggestions about what a beekeeper can do to avoid creating a problem.

Randall Austin