ocba - [ocba] Comb under the hive?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Chris Cramer <chris.cramer AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Comb under the hive?
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 09:41:11 -0400

Hi Folks,

I could use some advice. I was recently doing a hive inspection and one hive
looks great, no problems there. The other hive was showing signs of not
having a queen, in particular, there’s at least one laying worker and lots of
spotty drone brood. I grabbed a frame of brood from my good hive and put it
in, in hopes that they would produce a queen. But then I noticed that what I
had thought was bearding under the screened bottom board was actually comb.
Today I got a slightly closer look at the comb and it appears to have brood
in a nice laying pattern.

My guess is that the queen fell out during an inspection and couldn’t get
back in, but the workers started building her comb on the underside of the
hive.

So now what? My thought is to remove the hive from the hive stand, put a
large bucket or container under the hive stand and give it a good thump on
the ground to knock all of the bees into the container, put them in the main
hive and sacrifice the brood that’s in the comb beneath the hive.

Alternatively, I could cut out the screened bottom board and staple it into a
box in the main hive and hope they sort things out, migrating back to the
frames when possible.

Thoughts? Any advice is appreciated

thanks
-chris